Art-a-fact

 

Art-a-fact

This small, whimsical light green/beige/gold pouch was a first attempt at weaving in the SCA.  And, yes, a fun, energizing moment of “Ooh—I made a thing!”  Very little idea of what I was doing.  Boldly made an attempt at making a small thing, fighting the innate desire for instant perfection and the built in avoidance of failure.  Thanks Web, for providing access to people who post to teach what they learn! 

Had no loom so made a single-use cardboard one (cut up to release the object d’art).  The colors were what was available at hand in modern, inexpensive fibers (all I’d used at that point in attempts at knitting).  Read I needed strong fibers for the warp that wouldn’t break so had some strong black thread I figured made sense to use.  Didn’t consider these would be visible later…live and learn.  Threw in some loose dangly bits to give it some playfulness and joy, not considering medieval samples.  Weaving it in the round to make the pouch instead of flat and sewing it led to less tension on the side.  Making the warp so wide (cardboard has its limits) led to a looser weave so not great for holding small items (like a pouch should).  Tension could have been more uniform.  I liked the color change, small attempts at different patterns weaving and the resulting, unintended scalloped edge.

Wasn’t sure how to finish it, what to do with it, or whether to keep it, but here it is.  Was told by a wise person to hold onto it as an early made item, a reminder of past experience and an inspiration for future arting “I made a thing!” feelings. 


Today’s play

Look ahead to a journey meeting people, developing relationships, growing bolder, and learning, learning, learning.  Found friends who enjoyed fiber arts.  A laurel graciously took me on and continually inspires me with her amazing arting, even though I sheepishly still feel very unskilled and inept.  Joined a weekly group that plays with fiber in various ways and encourages and inspires, which has led to:  

The woven plaid brown, green and gold towel was made on a purchased Bekka table loom with much closer warp threads and thinner wool fibers intended for weaving.  The idea was a towel for my lord to use in the SCA.  It was a pattern I envisioned and followed through to make (who’d have thought I’d get to that when I first made that pouch?!).  I intentionally chose the colors and fiber (wool).  I wanted a plaid so warped it up with a variety of colors and then throwing caution to the wind (hard to do, but getting a bit easier with experience), randomly changed colors as I went along.  I wanted the warp not to show, so kept that in mind.  The plaid helped, but so did choosing to have a fringe at the ends as part of the product!  What started to form before my eyes felt so gratifying I had to keep going to see what would happen next!  Tried to keep tension even, tried to watch for mistakes/correct them as I went, tried to keep edges even.  Washed it and saw the pattern come together in a tighter, even nicer way. 

It’s not perfect, but I have been reassured again and again that perfect is not human.  So not “there” yet, but am learning to ask where “there” is and can one ever really be “there” or is it always not quite attainable—something to continually reach for?  I’m learning to be more ok with that.

Second star to the right and straight on ‘til morning

Finding inspiration and pushing on to completion is where I’m going--never growing up to the point of not investigating/trying the new.  Am starting a project with finer wool, tighter warp, a different weave pattern, & a second heddle, and experimenting…comfort zone be damned!  My spirit cries both “Eek!” and “Freedom!”

Adventures in arting.  It’s truly a personal journey of growth.  Frustrating at times (like warping the new project multiple times) but also immensely satisfying when something neat like this towel is produced and you can see the distance traveled.  Thanks wise friend, patient family, and SCA friends who encourage and inspire!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

tsk tsk task