Learning to read...part 2






Finishing up the 2nd of the pair

Finished & so pretty!
I worked on these socks for a very long time, getting frustrated at problem areas and putting them down, then steeling myself to work through them (with lots of help and encouragement), only to come to another halt.  I even started several other socks, encouraged by being able to start and get to a certain point without much difficulty.  I was super excited about finishing the first sock and determined to complete the second so I could wear them, and after much starting and stopping finally did complete the second.  Woot!  I was so excited, so happy, my second pair of socks finally completed, a pair for me!  And what a feeling of sweet success.  A goofy smile and good feelings burbled up.  Then I tried on the second sock only to find it wouldn’t fit--I couldn’t get my foot through a tight section on the turn of the sock, even though I had tried it on repeatedly while working on it.  I was stunned.  The joy was gone.  What a terrible disappointment, I felt, not only to myself, but to my mentor who put so much into making success possible.  I was cornered into confessing it to my wonderful husband who kindly tried to reassure me it was ok, it was only a sock and my mentor might have a fix that wasn’t as overwhelming as it felt, but I just couldn’t bring myself to it.  It felt such a failure.  It soured me from working on other things and life happened further pushing me away from doing.  
Some of those other socksCool!



So what to do to get back into doing?  Something small, I thought.  Easily achievable and showing visible results in a short time.  If it could also be largess, well, 2 birds…  A friend had shown me how to do monk’s cord some time ago and digging up the recollection, put some yarn in hand and let muscle memory do its thing.  Playful cords came out which I hope someone will benefit from and get a tickle in receiving them.  This makes me want to try fingerloop braiding again.  Hello Google my old friend, I’ve come to visit you again…



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art-a-fact

tsk tsk task