Learning to read part 3

And my amazing mentor came to the rescue yet again!  The sock that didn't fit became a subject of scientific inquiry from the scientist husband who must research all things.  Seeing my disappointment, he picked up the socks and noticed a pattern difference on the reverse of the socks at the point where the one became too narrow.  Sharing the observation with my mentor led to the discovery that I'd carried the second color of yarn along when I should not have and that extra step and fiber constricted the sock at that point--no flexibility for the foot to proceed to the toe of the sock.  A quick look from Mistress Amazing's careful eye, a couple snips with scissors and some confident loosening of unnecessary yarn and voila!  The sock of my consternation had been redeemed.  It fits!

I had thought I'd put the second sock on repeatedly as I did the first to be sure it continued to fit my foot as I worked on it, but clearly at a critical moment that checking ceased to happen.  In my focus to complete the second sock I neglected an important check.  Then too, had I pushed through the disappointment and turned the socks inside out and compared them, I might have saved myself some grief.  Lessons learned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art-a-fact

tsk tsk task