To dye is to live

Dyeing Easter eggs with onion skin is a long-time tradition at our house, coming from family roots in Europe.  You can wrap eggs in string to make patterns, use wax to limit dye uptake in some spots, or place small flowers, leaves, etc. around the egg. surround the egg with pantyhose so the plants stay in place and dye their shadows onto the eggs, so had fun doing some of that.  Then I thought, I have the dye, why not try to dye some yarn?  The onion skins I'd collected for months dyed nicely with a little vinegar in a variety of shades of brown/orange/yellow (colors I like), depending on how long they were in the dye, and lighter with subsequent items.  Wool seemed to take the dye better than cotton.  Then I thought to try red cabbage, which started a glorious purple red (I was really excited with that color!), but it didn't dye well.  Pieces that seemed to take the dye when squeezed dry lost color, lost more color when rinsed, and ultimately faded when dry to a greyish color.  I was much happier with the onion skin dyeing.  Definitely want to pursue this more another time--was fun and I love the how the little nalbinded wool "basket" below dyed to a pretty brown.  What other great colors can be made & made more color fast?  Need some time for research and to collect other dye stuffs. 
    








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art-a-fact

tsk tsk task